County releases letter on Delgaudio investigation
Loudoun County today released a letter from County Attorney Jack Roberts sent to the two investigators hired to look into allegations brought against Loudoun County Supervisor Eugene Delgaudio (R-Sterling).
The investigators, former FBI agent Dan Wright of Ashburn-based National Consulting and Investigative Services and Amy Hutchens of Watermark Risk Management International, were released from the investigation Nov. 9 through no fault of their work.
On Nov. 12 the Times-Mirror exclusively reported Wright’s name was on one of Delgaudio’s fundraising lists, according to board Chairman Scott York (R-At Large). Considering this, as well as the disclosure of new documents pertaining to the allegations that Delgaudio used county resources to conduct political fundraising, the case was transferred to the Arlington commonwealth’s attorney for further examination on Nov. 8, York said.
Roberts’ letter appears to line up with York’s statements, though it’s not explicit.
The letter, dated Nov. 9, states “this will confirm the discussions in our meeting yesterday concerning the investigation of the complaint by a staff aide regarding” Delgaudio.
Roberts writes to Wright and Hutchens: “You conducted a thorough review of those docuements this week and concluded that there is an evidentiary basis for referral to the appropriate law enforcement officials for further investigation. I have met with Commonwealth’s Attorney Jim Plowman, and he has secured an order appointing the Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Theo Stamos as a special prosecutor to investigate the matter further.”
The letter continues, “You have also advised me that review of the evidence produced a basis for your recusal from further involvement in the matter to avoid any appearance of conflict.”
In September, Delgaudio was the target of a Washington Post report that featured one of his former aides, Donna Mateer, saying she was directed by Delgaudio to initiate meetings for potential political donations while being compensated by the county.
In early October, the Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to initiate an investigation into the accusations against Delgaudio. On Oct. 26 the county hired Wright without an announcement or information of the case’s advancement.
Then in a surprising shift Nov. 9, two days after it was reported that Loudoun officials retained Wright to lead the probe, county leadership announced Stamos would again review the case.
Stamos surveyed Mateer’s accusations in the spring after the former aide first reported them to county officials. After her review, Stamos said there was not enough evidence to pursue a case against Delgaudio, but since then more documentation has been disclosed, according to a Nov. 9 press release from the county.
It remains unclear what the new material contains. York said he was not at liberty to discuss specifics of the new documentation, noting only it includes additional details of Mateer’s complaint against Delgaudio.
Post a commentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
Comments express only the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of this website or any associated person or entity. Any user who believes a message is objectionable can contact us at [email protected].
- EDITORIAL: Memo to Loudoun’s supervisors: Learning is OK
- Middleburg Community Charter School bounces back after controversy
- Loudoun Interfaith Relief changes its name, celebrates 25 years of serving county’s hungry
- Chick-fil-A opens in South Riding
- Dominion to hold second round of venting in Loudoun on Oct. 3
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Open the e-edition now.