Frederick Douglass to hold open house Saturday
Frederick Douglass Elementary will host an open house and ice cream social to show off a permanent exhibit of the school’s African-American history.
The exhibit, created through a partnership between George Mason University, the Black History Committee of the Thomas Blatch Library and Loudoun County Public Schools documents the struggles of the African-American community for equal education and the history of the school.
Frederick Douglass Elementary opened as a segregated school in 1958 and was integrated in 1968 under court order. It remained open as a school until 1982 when it was used for program and administrative offices.
The school was demolished last year and a new one has been built in its place.
Be the first to post a comment!
Post a commentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
Comments express only the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of this website or any associated person or entity. Any user who believes a message is objectionable can contact us at [email protected].
- EDITORIAL: Brewer’s reinstatement comes with an inconvenient truth
- Serenity now: The Woodhouse Day Spa to host grand opening
- Loudoun Sheriff’s Office K9 takes down Sterling woman
- The alleged ‘Incognito Bandit’ bank robber arrested at Dulles Airport
- Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office makes five drunken driving arrests over the weekend
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Click here for all e-editions.