Moran’s son resigns from campaign
U.S. Rep. Jim Moran’s (D-8th) son resigned from his campaign staff Wednesday following the release of an undercover video that shows him discussing possible voter fraud.
“Patrick is well liked and was a well-respected member of the campaign team. This incident, however, was clearly an error in judgment,” read a statement from Jim Moran’s campaign announcing his resignation.
In the video, Patrick Moran, who was serving as the field director for his father’s campaign, is approached by a man who says he wants to help make sure Democrats get elected. The man asks Moran for advice on how to vote on behalf of 100 people who are inactive registered voters.
Throughout the conversation, Moran tries to steer the volunteer back to legal ground, suggesting that his energy would be better spent on ‘get out the vote’ efforts. However, he also seems to suggest that the man could use fake utility bills to get around Virginia’s voter ID laws.
“While it is unclear yet what laws may have been violated, what is clear is that a high-level member of Congressman Moran’s staff, who happens to be his son, was at the very least receptive to the idea of one person fraudulently voting in the name of 100 other registered voters in order to help Democratic candidates,” said Jay McConville, chairman of the Fairfax County Republican Committee, in a released statement.
The video was obtained and released by the group Project Veritas, which is run by conservative activist James O’Keefe and has been linked to high-profile video stings that shook up the grassroots organization ACORN in 2009 and led to the resignations of NPR executives in 2011.
In both cases, independent reviews suggested that the videos had been selectively edited to paint a misleading or more sensationalized version of the In this case, Project Veritas includes both their edited video and what they say is the unedited footage in the 26-minute YouTube clip.
Post a commentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
Comments express only the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of this website or any associated person or entity. Any user who believes a message is objectionable can contact us at [email protected].
- EDITORIAL: Memo to Loudoun’s supervisors: Learning is OK
- Dominion to hold second round of venting in Loudoun on Oct. 3
- McAuliffe says he’s restored voting rights to 60,000
- Loudoun women leaders discuss improving county’s health care at Women 100 Luncheon
- A new day in Leesburg: Brown sworn in as police chief
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Open the e-edition now.