UPDATE: Purcellville man seriously injured after Route 287 crash
A Purcellville man is in critical condition after the truck he was driving on Wednesday struck a utility pole on Route 287.
Chad Christopher Horton, 34, was airlifted from the scene, just north of Wheatland near John Wolford Road, to Inova Fairfax Hospital.
As of Wednesday night, he was listed in critical condition, according to Kraig Troxell, spokesman for the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office.
Authorities said Horton was driving south on Route 287 around noon when, for unknown reasons, he drove off the right side of the road and lost traction. He then overcorrected to the left while crossing the northbound lane of the road and went onto the east shoulder where his truck flipped onto its passenger side and struck the utility pole.
The pole was broken in two places, authorities said.
A motorist traveling north on Route 287 came upon the crash moments later and called for help.
Rescue crews from Purcellville, Lovettsville and Leesburg and the Virginia State Police responded to the crash which closed at least one lane of traffic for hours while deputies with the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office investigated.
Authorities said a preliminary investigation suggests Horton was speeding at the time of the crash.
He was not wearing his seatbelt, but authorities said his airbag did deploy.
- John Bell to replace Jack Tiwari for Democrats in 87th District
- Loudoun’s tourism champions honored at Visit Loudoun awards
- Gov. McAuliffe vetoes bill limiting license plate readers
- Planting history: Hamilton’s Wegmeyer Farms and Oatlands partner to harvest strawberries in Leesburg
- Sheriff Chapman, Ralph Buona win Loudoun Republican nominations