Last week's delay of Phase 1 of Metrorail's Silver Line will not have an affect on the time line for Phase 2 of the project, according to Marcia McAllister, Communications Manager with the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project.
The Dulles Metrorail Project was broken into two phases and each were separately contracted, so delays in one phase don't necessarily translate to a delay in the other, because they are separate entities.
It was announced last week that the Silver Line's original Phase 1 opening date set for sometime this year would be delayed until March as a result of safety testing.
Problems with a software system that operates the Automatic Train Control System forced the delay.
"This is why we test," said Pat Nowakowski, executive director of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project last week in a prepared statement. "Our guiding principle throughout this process has been ‘safety first’ and we remain committed to that principal.”
Some modifications will be necessary in order to get the project running by March for regular passengers.
Phase II of the process, which brings the Silver Line out to eastern Loudoun, is in preliminary information gathering stages at this point.
Soil tests and underground utilities are currently being checked in the Ashburn area to make sure construction can go as planned, according to McAllister.
Phase 2 of the project is slated to begin spring 2014, with an expected completion date being some time in 2018.
Phase 1 stops
West Falls Church
- is currently on the Orange Line. It is where the Silver Line will hook into the existing metro stops.
– Near the intersection of Dulles Toll Road and Dolly Madison Boulevard in McLean.
– the best station to access Tysons Corner Center and Tysons Galleria.
– On Route 7 near the Chain Bridge Road interchange.
– At the corner of Spring Hill Road and Route 7.
– In the median of the Dulles Toll Road near Wiehle Avenue.
Phase 2 stops
Reston Town Center
– In the median of the Dulles Toll Road about 2,000 feet south of Reston Town Center.
– It will be located next to the Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride in the median of the Dulles Toll Road.
– At the intersection of State Route 28 and the Dulles Toll Road.
- This stop will service the airport.
– Will be located at the intersection of State Route 606 and the Dulles Greenway in Dulles just north of the airport.
– The terminus of the Silver Line. It is located at the intersection of State Route 772 and the Dulles Greenway.
View Washington DC Metro Silver Line in a larger map
Above is a Google Map of the proposed locations for the Silver Line.