Two men detained at Dulles Airport for illegally trying to enter the U.S.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers charged two men this week when they arrived at Dulles International Airport with illegal identity documents.
CBP charged both men, one from Mexico and from New Guinea, for violating U.S. immigration law. Both men have been ordered to be deported the country.
The Mexican man left Jan. 29 and is barred from entering the U.S. for 20 years. The Guinean has been ordered removed with a five year bar, but remains detained until the merits of his credible fear review can be evaluated.
In both cases, biometric verification during the primary arrivals inspection process detected a mismatch between the traveler and the travel documents’ true bearer.
“Customs and Border Protection officers employ a variety of tools to ensure that the traveler standing before him or her is a legitimate traveler visiting the United States for a legitimate purpose,” said Christopher Hess, CBP port director of the Port of Washington in a statement. “We are a welcoming nation, and one that gladly welcomes visitors who respect our nation’s laws.”
The 44-year-old Mexican man arrived from Mexico City Jan. 28 and presented a Mexican passport and U.S. travel Visa. A CBP officer referred him for a more comprehensive secondary exam after the biometric mismatch. Computer systems revealed that the Visa and passport belonged to another person. CBP officers also discovered that the traveler being inspected was previously removed Jan. 18 and barred for 20 years after he was apprehended illegally entering the country.
The 30-year-old Guinean man arrived Jan. 30 from Johannesburg, South Africa. He presented several documents to a CBP officer, including a Liberian passport, a U.S. immigrant Visa and a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident identification card. The man was a biometric mismatch to the document’s true bearer. During a baggage examination, CBP officers discovered a Guinea national identification card that belonged to the traveler and was issued under a different name. The man remains in federal detention until his credible fear review. He faces a five year bar from returning to the U.S.
The Privacy Act prohibits releasing the travelers’ names since they were not criminally charged, according to CBP.
- In Northern Va., Michelle Obama says tech industry to train, hire 90K military vets
- Parent takes Loudoun school administrators to court over alleged FOIA violations
- U-Va. dean bashes Rolling Stone article in open letter
- Chris Cooley’s Leesburg mansion is still for sale
- Maureen McDonnell: Corruption trial was unfair