Wizards spell unity for Leesburg schools
The Harlem Wizards will compete against the staff and parents from nine elementary schools in Leesburg to raise money for a new playground at Frederick Douglass Elementary School.
Staff and parents from Ball’s Bluff, Catoctin, Cool Spring, Evergreen Mill, Francis Hazel Reid, Frederick Douglass, Leesburg, Sycolin Creek and Tolbert elementary schools will send their best to form a team named the Leesburg Lightning. The unified team will compete against the Wizards at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 5 at the Tuscarora High School gym.
“This is no ordinary basketball game,” said Jennifer Boyd, president of the Catoctin Elementary School PTA, “this event represents so much more. Schools in our community have been involved for the past 12 months in boundary hearings that can best be described as ‘tense’ for all involved. With the start of a new school year, we have managed to put the past behind us and move forward for the common good of all children.”
Tickets are available at participating schools at $10 for adults and $8 for students with slightly higher prices at the door.
Be the first to post a comment!
- Virginia exports grow to $19.2 billion in 2014
- From quarry to community: Looking at the huge Waterside development application
- Loudoun photographers earn honors, work on display in Herndon
- MORE: Critics say Virginia ethics bill won’t prevent another scandal
- West End Wine Bar and Pub to open in Purcellville