Black senators walk as late Harry F. Byrd honored
Byrd was a defender of racial segregation. He died July 30 at age 98.
Walking off the Senate floor Friday were Sens. Kenneth C. Alexander of Norfolk, Mamie E. Locke of Hampton, L. Louise Lucas of Portsmouth, Henry L. Marsh III of Richmond and A. Donald McEachin of Henrico County, all black Democrats.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that Alexandria Democratic Sen. Adam P. Ebbin, who is white, joined them.
The remaining senators approved the resolution, which calls the former senator from Winchester a "respected statesman and great Virginian."
The Senate is to formally present the resolution to members of Byrd's family Tuesday.
- UPDATE: Contender for School Board At Large seat enters ring
- Dulles Greenway’s latest rate hike goes into effect March 4
- 2015 Virginia legislative session wraps up with ethics rules
- Stone Bridge rallies past O’Connell in hockey championship game
- Woodgrove high schooler to take Philly Eagles linebacker to prom