Black senators walk as late Harry F. Byrd honored
Byrd was a defender of racial segregation. He died July 30 at age 98.
Walking off the Senate floor Friday were Sens. Kenneth C. Alexander of Norfolk, Mamie E. Locke of Hampton, L. Louise Lucas of Portsmouth, Henry L. Marsh III of Richmond and A. Donald McEachin of Henrico County, all black Democrats.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that Alexandria Democratic Sen. Adam P. Ebbin, who is white, joined them.
The remaining senators approved the resolution, which calls the former senator from Winchester a "respected statesman and great Virginian."
The Senate is to formally present the resolution to members of Byrd's family Tuesday.
Post a commentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
Comments express only the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of this website or any associated person or entity. Any user who believes a message is objectionable can contact us at [email protected].
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe sued: Hepatitis A in Egyptian berries
- Crescent Parke developers file suit against Leesburg Town Council
- FAA small drone rule comes into effect Monday
- Round Hill resident seriously injured after accidentally shooting himself
- Sterling MS-13 member released to Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Open the e-edition now.