Black senators walk as late Harry F. Byrd honored
Byrd was a defender of racial segregation. He died July 30 at age 98.
Walking off the Senate floor Friday were Sens. Kenneth C. Alexander of Norfolk, Mamie E. Locke of Hampton, L. Louise Lucas of Portsmouth, Henry L. Marsh III of Richmond and A. Donald McEachin of Henrico County, all black Democrats.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that Alexandria Democratic Sen. Adam P. Ebbin, who is white, joined them.
The remaining senators approved the resolution, which calls the former senator from Winchester a "respected statesman and great Virginian."
The Senate is to formally present the resolution to members of Byrd's family Tuesday.
- Comstock’s property taxes raise questions about a central campaign narrative
- Maryland man pleads guilty to Taylorstown home invasion
- Voting advocates fear impact of Virginia’s voter ID law
- Witness in Sterling murder recants testimony
- LCPS encourages relationships between schools and local businesses