Black senators walk as late Harry F. Byrd honored
Byrd was a defender of racial segregation. He died July 30 at age 98.
Walking off the Senate floor Friday were Sens. Kenneth C. Alexander of Norfolk, Mamie E. Locke of Hampton, L. Louise Lucas of Portsmouth, Henry L. Marsh III of Richmond and A. Donald McEachin of Henrico County, all black Democrats.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that Alexandria Democratic Sen. Adam P. Ebbin, who is white, joined them.
The remaining senators approved the resolution, which calls the former senator from Winchester a "respected statesman and great Virginian."
The Senate is to formally present the resolution to members of Byrd's family Tuesday.
- Loudoun detectives seize large amount of drugs from Sterling hotel; two in custody
- Wine Wednesday: We’re talking grapes by the tons
- EDITORIAL: When law enforcement is more than a matter of faith
- Prince William chairman says Bi-County Parkway project is dead
- Budget overview: Supervisors set to finalize fiscal 2016 spending plan Wednesday