Cedar Lane gym teacher arrested after reporting to school drunk
A Loudoun County Public Schools elementary school teacher was arrested Dec. 4 after coming to school drunk.
Gregory A. Wuenschel, 48, of Ranson, W.Va. was charged with driving under the influence, driving without a license and possession of alcohol on school property.
Wuenschel, a Cedar Lane Elementary gym teacher in Ashburn and nine-year veteran of LCPS, has been placed on administrative leave, according to Wayde Byard, spokesman for LCPS.
Byard said the only class Wuenschel instructed that day was team taught, and no students were alone with Wuenschel.
"No student safety was compromised," Byard assured.
Administrators were notified of Wuenschel's behavior by a staff member. They then contacted Broad Run's school resource officer, a member of the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, to investigate the situation.
During the investigation, it was determined that Wuenschel was not only intoxicated, but had driven to school that morning. He was arrested shortly before 10 a.m.
"It was all done discreetly," Byard said. "The school day wasn't interrupted."
Wuenschel has since been released on a $2,500 bond.
- In Northern Va., Michelle Obama says tech industry to train, hire 90K military vets
- Parent takes Loudoun school administrators to court over alleged FOIA violations
- Loudoun supervisors address increasing student diversity
- U-Va. dean bashes Rolling Stone article in open letter
- Chris Cooley’s Leesburg mansion is still for sale