Cedar Lane gym teacher arrested after reporting to school drunk
A Loudoun County Public Schools elementary school teacher was arrested Dec. 4 after coming to school drunk.
Gregory A. Wuenschel, 48, of Ranson, W.Va. was charged with driving under the influence, driving without a license and possession of alcohol on school property.
Wuenschel, a Cedar Lane Elementary gym teacher in Ashburn and nine-year veteran of LCPS, has been placed on administrative leave, according to Wayde Byard, spokesman for LCPS.
Byard said the only class Wuenschel instructed that day was team taught, and no students were alone with Wuenschel.
"No student safety was compromised," Byard assured.
Administrators were notified of Wuenschel's behavior by a staff member. They then contacted Broad Run's school resource officer, a member of the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, to investigate the situation.
During the investigation, it was determined that Wuenschel was not only intoxicated, but had driven to school that morning. He was arrested shortly before 10 a.m.
"It was all done discreetly," Byard said. "The school day wasn't interrupted."
Wuenschel has since been released on a $2,500 bond.
- Former Loudoun school superintendent elected Board of Directors chair for preservationist group
- With time running out, here’s where Verizon, union negotiations stand
- Lane closures on Ashburn Village Boulevard at Russell Branch Parkway set for August
- Dulles go kart racetrack says goodbye
- Leesburg Police Department looking for tipster No. 168
As Seen IN PRINT
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Open the e-edition now.