Governor appoints ex-GOP operative to ABC board
Republicans panned the move shortly after it was announced Wednesday as a political payback for a GOP defector.
In a surprise move last year, Marcus endorsed McAuliffe and advised his campaign against Republican Ken Cuccinelli.
Marcus had previously worked for U.S. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and former Gov. Jim Gilmore.
A spokeswoman for the agency said Boyd's salary would be set by the McAuliffe administration. She said under former Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell, the board chairman was paid $136,000 a year and a board member was paid $124,000.
House Speaker William J. Howell said the appointment, which has to be approved by the General Assembly, deserves additional scrutiny.
- From quarry to community: Looking at the huge Waterside development application
- Loudoun photographers earn honors, work on display in Herndon
- MORE: Critics say Virginia ethics bill won’t prevent another scandal
- West End Wine Bar and Pub to open in Purcellville
- Local Live Music: Jorma Kaukonen’s in no hurry