Governor appoints ex-GOP operative to ABC board
Republicans panned the move shortly after it was announced Wednesday as a political payback for a GOP defector.
In a surprise move last year, Marcus endorsed McAuliffe and advised his campaign against Republican Ken Cuccinelli.
Marcus had previously worked for U.S. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and former Gov. Jim Gilmore.
A spokeswoman for the agency said Boyd's salary would be set by the McAuliffe administration. She said under former Republican Gov. Bob McDonnell, the board chairman was paid $136,000 a year and a board member was paid $124,000.
House Speaker William J. Howell said the appointment, which has to be approved by the General Assembly, deserves additional scrutiny.
- Virginia lawmakers express concerns over proposed EPA rules
- Rolling Stone article on culture of rape at UVA: ‘Instantly all anyone could talk about’
- Eastern District collects $24 million in debts in fiscal 2014
- Mathias and his team unleashing childhood cancer awareness
- ‘This is My Brave’: Community responds to growing suicide, depression rates