Mobile Website | Login | Register
Staff Directory | Subscribe | About Us
Business Government Politics Region Crime/Public Safety Education People E-edition Ashburn Hamilton Hillsboro Lansdowne Leesburg Lovettsville Middleburg Purcellville River Creek Round Hill Sterling
Basketball Football Youth Wrestling Gymnastics Swimming Volleyball Baseball Track Golf Cheer Cross Country Schedule Scores
Brambleton Community of Faith Hangin in the Nosebleeds Journal Entry Loudoun Essence Made in Loudoun Odd Angles River Creek & Lansdowne South Riding Sterling, Cascades & CountrySide
This Week's Slideshow Browse All Galleries Your Best Dish Featured Video The Virginians
  • Announcements
  • Autos
  • Jobs
  • Legals
  • Homes
  • YardSales
  • Submit an Ad
  • Newspaper Advertising Online Advertising
    Classified listings Homes section

    Improperly discarded cigarette destroys Sterling home, injures one

    Fire, caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, injured one, displaced five and destroyed a Sterling home Monday night, according to Loudoun Fire and Rescue.

    Fire and rescue units responded about 6:15 p.m. to the home at 900 W. Maple Ave. to find smoke and fire billowing from the two-story structure.

    Firefighters, authorities said, had a difficult time extinguishing the fire because flames spread to the electrical and natural gas lines within the home. After all utilities were secured, the fire was quickly brought under control.

    The fire, which started in the home's covered exterior porch, also caused damage to a neighboring residence.

    The estimated dollar loss is $350,000, according to the Fire Marshal's Office.

    The American Red Cross was contacted to assist the home's displaced family.

    A visiting family member was taken to Inova Hospital in Lansdowne and subsequently transferred to Georgetown University Hospital.

    Several pets also died in the fire. No injuries to fire department personnel were reported.

    Comments

    Kudos to the first responders, especially the fire department. Having the fire spread to the gas and electric lines is a scary thing. It’s disturbing that something as simple as a carelessly placed smoking materials put lives in danger.

    Get Email Updates
    Tuesdays:  
    Thursdays:

    StayConnected

    Follow Us
    on Twitter

    News | Sports

    Like Us
    on Facebook

    News & Sports

    Join Our
    Email List

    Sign up for
    weekly updates
    The Loudoun Times-Mirror

    is an interactive, digital replica
    of the printed newspaper.
    Open the e-edition now.

    Loudoun Business Journal - Fall 2014

    Loudoun Business Journal - Summer 2014

    Loudoun Business Journal - Spring 2014