Liberal blogger hired to defend Redskins name resigns
Ben Tribbett announced his resignation on Twitter late Monday, saying he didn't want to be a distraction because of personal attacks directed toward him.
Tribbett is well-known in Virginia politics as an advocate for liberal issues. He is perhaps best known for leading the attacks on Sen. George Allen for using the word "macaca" to describe an American of Indian descent during Allen's ill-fated re-election campaign in 2006. Allen is the brother of Redskins president and general manager Bruce Allen.
Tribbett tweeted that he supports the Redskins name but doesn't "see eye to eye with some friends" over the issue.
Redskins owner Dan Snyder has vowed not to change the name but is facing unprecedented opposition from those who consider it a racial slur.
- Northern Virginia Community College president Robert Templin retires after 12 years
- Lawmakers tout bills to curb domestic violence
- Loudoun Chamber of Commerce honors businesses at annual awards
- Attempt to repeal abortion ultrasound law fails in Virginia Senate
- Cycle Scene opens state-of-the-art Studio in Ashburn