Liberal blogger hired to defend Redskins name resigns
Ben Tribbett announced his resignation on Twitter late Monday, saying he didn't want to be a distraction because of personal attacks directed toward him.
Tribbett is well-known in Virginia politics as an advocate for liberal issues. He is perhaps best known for leading the attacks on Sen. George Allen for using the word "macaca" to describe an American of Indian descent during Allen's ill-fated re-election campaign in 2006. Allen is the brother of Redskins president and general manager Bruce Allen.
Tribbett tweeted that he supports the Redskins name but doesn't "see eye to eye with some friends" over the issue.
Redskins owner Dan Snyder has vowed not to change the name but is facing unprecedented opposition from those who consider it a racial slur.
- The Psychedelic Furs: Loving their new way
- Ken Cuccinelli settles lawsuit against conservative PAC
- Former Loudoun sheriff Simpson to make another bid for office
- Teacher of the Year: Mitchell Seipt brings history back to the future
- Nonprofit of the Year: Loudoun Interfaith Relief feeds the hungry, empowers lives