Loudoun Sheriff’s Office says 14 firearms stolen from cars since November, urges gun safety
Since November 2016, 14 firearms have been reported stolen from vehicles throughout the county, according to the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office, with a majority of the vehicles either being left unlocked or showing no signs of forced entry.
“This poses a great risk to the community,” Loudoun County Sheriff Mike Chapman (R) said in a statement. “Gun owners should properly secure and store their firearms in safe locations.”
The LCSO's Crime Prevention Unit provided several tips for deterring thefts from vehicles:
•Keep your vehicle locked. Most stolen items are taken from vehicles that are left unlocked.
• Remove all items from your vehicle, including garage door openers, when not in use. When you cannot do this, put the items out of sight, whether inside a lockable glove box or trunk. If your vehicle has an integrated garage door opener, try to park your vehicle in the garage.
• If you have to leave a firearm in your vehicle, use a secured lock box and take the ammunition and/or magazine with you and out of the vehicle.
• Park inside your garage, if available, and keep the garage locked. Or, try to park
your vehicle near or under an illuminated area.
• Report suspicious activity immediately by calling the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office non-emergency line at 703-777-1021.
In an effort to assist gun owners with properly securing their firearms, the agency is providing free gunlock safety kits donated through Project ChildSafe, a nationwide firearms safety education program. Each kit contains a safety curriculum and a cable style gunlock. The locks fit on most types of handguns, rifles and shotguns. The goal is to prevent a child or any other unauthorized person from accessing a firearm in your home, according to LCSO.
The safety kits will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis at the following locations Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Administration Building
803 Sycolin Road
Leesburg, VA 20175
Dulles South Public Safety Center
25216 Loudoun County Pkwy.
Chantilly, VA 20152
Eastern Loudoun Station
46620 East Frederick Dr.
Sterling, VA 20164
45299 Research Pl. #100
Ashburn, VA 20147
Western Loudoun Station
47 W. Loudoun St.
Round Hill, VA
A list of Loudoun County Sheriff's Office locations can be found at http://sheriff.loudoun.gov/findmystation.
Post a comment
Comments express only the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of this website or any associated person or entity. Any user who believes a message is objectionable can contact us at [email protected].
- EDITORIAL: For $1 billion, citizens should expect accountability from Loudoun County Public Schools
- Rep. Comstock at odds with Trump’s federal hiring freeze
- Parallels emerge between national election and Virginia governor’s race
- Reston man arrested on DUI, firearm charges
- Loudoun County Republicans condemn Women’s March, say organized by ‘radical leftists’
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Click here for all e-editions.