McAuliffe orders cuts to Va. state agencies
McAuliffe's chief of staff, Paul Reagan, sent a memo to agency chiefs last week ordering them to come up with suggestions on how to cut 5 percent from their budgets this fiscal year and 7 percent next year.
"Please ensure that your recommendations are both practical and consistent with preserving the known priorities or directives of the governor as much as possible," Reagan said in the memo. "This is a time of great economic uncertainty and your leadership will make a difference as we face these challenges."
He also emphasized the need to find recurring cuts, instead of one-time savings. And Reagan told agency bosses not to make budget cut suggestions that "simply pass on additional costs to another state agency."
Reagan said suggested budget plans could include increasing fees for outside parties.
The across-the-board cuts did not apply to higher education institutions, which would be the focus of targeted reductions later, Reagan said.
The agency heads were directed to submit their proposed budget plans to the governor's office by Sept. 19.
McAuliffe announced the $880 million budget hole earlier this month and said that state officials will have to make "a series of hard decisions that will test our ability to protect our core priorities and balance our budget."
Officials said $346 million will have to be found in fiscal year 2015 and $536 million will be needed in fiscal year 2016.
Post a commentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
Comments express only the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of this website or any associated person or entity. Any user who believes a message is objectionable can contact us at email@example.com.
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Open the e-edition now.