Measles investigation continues; second potential case identified
The investigation is an expansion from the recent case in late April in Loudoun and Fairfax counties.
Officials said the second case of measles was confirmed in a person who was a close contact of the first case. National Capital Region health officials are mounting a coordinated effort to identify people who may have been exposed to this second case.
New potential exposure sites and times have been identified. The exposures occurred between May 11 and May 15 in Fairfax, Loudoun and Arlington counties; Montgomery County, Md.; and Washington, D.C. People who were at the locations listed below, at the times indicated, may have been exposed to the measles virus.
– Sunday, May 11 from 8 a.m. to noon at Palisades Farmer’s Market (open air market), MacArthur Blvd & Chain Bridge Road, Washington, DC
– Sunday, May 11 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:50 p.m. at Art Fair Outdoor (temporary market), Cordell Ave., Bethesda, Md.
– Sunday, May 11 from 11:20 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. at Prep Matters (waiting room), 5001 Cordell Ave, Bethesda, Md.
– Sunday, May 11 from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Farmer’s Market, Cordell Ave., Bethesda, Md.
– Monday, May 12 from 7:10 to 10:20 a.m. at Starbucks, 2407 Centreville Road, Herndon, Va.
– Monday, May 12 fro 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Loudoun South Riding Pediatrics and other businesses at 25055 Riding Plaza, South Riding, Va.
– Tuesday, May 13 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Loudoun South Riding Pediatrics and other businesses at 25055 Riding Plaza, South Riding, Va.
– Tuesday, May 13 from 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Nysmith School for the Gifted, 13625 Eds Drive, Herndon, Va.
– Wednesday, May 14 Lifetime Fitness (Athletic Club) from 8:20 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., 1757 Business Center Drive, Reston, Va.
– Wednesday, May 14 from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at South Riding Pediatrics and other businesses at 25055 Riding Plaza, South Riding, Va.
– Wednesday, May 14 from 1:45 to 5 p.m. at Whole Foods Fairfax, 4501 Market Commons Drive, Fairfax, Va.
– Wednesday, May 14 from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Nysmith School for the Gifted, 13625 Eds Drive, Herndon, Va.
– Wednesday, May 14 from 2:45 to 6 p.m. at Bon Chon Chicken, 13320 Franklin Farm Road, Herndon, Va.
– Wednesday, May 14 from 3:30 to 6:40 p.m. at Mother’s Macaroons, 2442 N. Harrison St., Arlington, Va.
– Wednesday, May 14 from 3:45 to 7 p.m. Homemade Pizza, 4514 Lee Hwy., Arlington, Va.
– Wednesday, May 14 from 3:50 to 7 p.m. aat Arrow Wine & Cheese, 4508 Lee Highway, Arlington, Va.
– Thursday, May 15 from 6:30 to 9:40 a.m. at CVS, 1452 Chain Bridge Road, McLean, Va.
– Thursday, May 15 from 6:40 to 9:50 a.m. at Giant, 1454 Chain Bridge Road, McLean, Va.
– Thursday, May 15 from 10:10 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. at Starbucks, 1438 Chain Bridge Road, McLean, Va.
– Thursday, May 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:50 p.m. at McLean Medical Associates and other businesses at 6862 Elm St. McLean, Va.
For individuals who were exposed at any of the above locations during the times specified:
-- Preventive treatment may be available for those who were at the exposure sites on May 15 only. The preventive treatment is particularly important for high risk individuals (e.g., pregnant women, infants under the age of 1, and immunosuppressed people). However, this preventive treatment must be administered today, May 21, to be effective. Please call 1-877-275-8343 as soon as possible to be assessed for exposure risk.
– If you have never received MMR vaccine, you may be at risk of measles. Monitor your health and if you notice symptoms of measles (see below), immediately isolate yourself in your home to limit your exposure to others and call your primary health care provider to discuss further care.
– Call ahead before going to the doctor’s office or the emergency room and tell them that you were exposed to measles.
Be the first to post a comment!
Post a commentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
Comments express only the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of this website or any associated person or entity. Any user who believes a message is objectionable can contact us at [email protected].
- Sources: Gov. Mike Pence, Trump’s VP pick, to appear in Loudoun County Saturday
- Comprehensive plan stakeholders committee tour Loudoun as they get to work on new plan
- ‘Moms 4 Trump’ display anger, vitriol toward Clinton in Loudoun County
- Voting rights restored again for 13K felons in Virginia
- Coton and Rye tavern to open at Lansdowne Resort and Spa this fall
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Open the e-edition now.