UPDATED: Runner, mother of two, killed in early morning crash
According to a report from the Virginia State Police, trooper E.A. Diaz was called to the scene of a single-car crash at the intersection of Claiborne Parkway and Waxpool Road in Ashburn.
A 2009 Nissan Rogue driven by a 61-year-old woman was traveling southbound on Claiborne Parkway when it hit a woman jogging along Waxpool Road. The driver stopped and gave CPR to the jogger; Diaz took over upon his arrival.
The jogger, Jaime A. Rowley, 31, of the Broadlands was taken to Inova Loudoun Hospital, where she was declared dead.
The crash is still under investigation, and charges are pending consultation with the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office. Alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
Rowley was a mother of two daughters. Friends on social media described her as a "devoted mother" and "exceptional friend." A website has been set up to raise money for Rowley's daughters; as of 11:30 March 13, the page had raised nearly $15,000.
Runners took to the intersection, tying old running shoes to a nearby pole in memory of Rowley. Friends are encouraging others to “run for Jamie” this Saturday.
To donate to the fund for Jaime Rowley's daughters, visit http://www.gofundme.com/7hy03o
- Holding court: Falcons, Raiders win state volleyball titles
- Gov. McAuliffe announces first commercial hops facility in mid-Atlantic in Loudoun
- No small potatoes: Loudoun Interfaith rebounds in time for the turkey
- First baby born at Inova’s new Natural Birth Center
- Rolling Stone article on culture of rape at UVA: ‘Instantly all anyone could talk about’