UPDATED: Runner, mother of two, killed in early morning crash
According to a report from the Virginia State Police, trooper E.A. Diaz was called to the scene of a single-car crash at the intersection of Claiborne Parkway and Waxpool Road in Ashburn.
A 2009 Nissan Rogue driven by a 61-year-old woman was traveling southbound on Claiborne Parkway when it hit a woman jogging along Waxpool Road. The driver stopped and gave CPR to the jogger; Diaz took over upon his arrival.
The jogger, Jaime A. Rowley, 31, of the Broadlands was taken to Inova Loudoun Hospital, where she was declared dead.
The crash is still under investigation, and charges are pending consultation with the Commonwealth's Attorney's Office. Alcohol was not a factor in the accident.
Rowley was a mother of two daughters. Friends on social media described her as a "devoted mother" and "exceptional friend." A website has been set up to raise money for Rowley's daughters; as of 11:30 March 13, the page had raised nearly $15,000.
Runners took to the intersection, tying old running shoes to a nearby pole in memory of Rowley. Friends are encouraging others to “run for Jamie” this Saturday.
To donate to the fund for Jaime Rowley's daughters, visit http://www.gofundme.com/7hy03o
- Teacher of the Year: Seipt brings history back to the future
- Nonprofit of the Year: Loudoun Interfaith Relief feeds the hungry, empowers lives
- Citizen of the Year: Scott York leaves his fingerprints on county’s present and future
- Field hockey first sport in Loudoun to reap benefit of changed athletics policy
- Ashburn church gives aid to Baltimore mom