Leesburg hit and run victim dies, driver in custody
A Leesburg man who was hit by the driver of a pickup truck that fled the scene July 27 on Plaza Street has died.
In addition, police now have the driver of the truck in custody.
Jose Pablo Hernandez Reyes, 47, of no fixed address, was arrested tonight and charged with felony hit and run.
Hernandez Reyes turned himself in at Leesburg Police Headquarters, according to Lt. Jeff Dube, spokesman for the Leesburg Police Department.
The victim in this case, Fidel Antonio Cruz Villacorta, 57, died shortly before midnight July 28, at the Inova Fairfax Hospital. The cause of death is pending an autopsy.
Hernandez Reyes was ordered held on a $100,000 secured bond at the Loudoun County Adult Detention Center.
Police were able to identify Hernandez Reyes after a citizen followed the truck from Leesburg to Hamilton following the hit and run incident and took a photo on his cellphone of the truck's license plate, Dube said.
At the time of the incident, Hernandez Reyes had exited a business’s parking lot and was heading south on Plaza Street when he struck Villacorta.
- Leesburg hit and run victim dies, driver in custody
- County to break ground on first recreation and senior center for South Riding
- Children’s musicians Andrew & Polly to debut in Ashburn
- Rotary Club of Ashburn kicks off backpack drive with help from community
- Loudoun brothers, ages 9 and 10, die in Charlottesville car crash; prayer vigil planned
As Seen IN PRINT
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Open the e-edition now.