Loudoun County school bus in accident in Purcellville
The accident occured in the 36900 block of Main Street, in front of the Loudoun County Golf and Country Club, at around 7:33 a.m. The bus was bringing children to Mountain View Elementary.
According to Wayde Byard, public information officer for Loudoun County Public Schools, the school bus veered off the side of the road, drove through a fence and into a pine tree. The crumple zone in the front of the bus sustained significant damage, but was able to absorb the brunt of the shock.
"The bus did what it was supposed to do," Byard said.
There were 37 students riding the bus, and 16 were taken to Inova Loudoun Hospital. The injuries, Byard said, were largely minor, such as nose bleeds and cuts, but two children were placed on back boards as a precaution. Additionally, the bus driver was also taken to the hospital.
The parents of the children on the bus received two calls via ConnectED notifying them of the accident, and Mountain View principal Jerry Hill was on scene.
Removal of the bus from the accident began at around 9:45 a.m.
The cause of the accident is still under investigation.
This is an ongoing story. More information will be added as it becomes available.
- Virginia exports grow to $19.2 billion in 2014
- From quarry to community: Looking at the huge Waterside development application
- Loudoun photographers earn honors, work on display in Herndon
- MORE: Critics say Virginia ethics bill won’t prevent another scandal
- West End Wine Bar and Pub to open in Purcellville