Sterling pedestrian killed by drunken driver
Jeffrey A. Carter, 53, died from his injuries at Inova Loudoun's Lansdowne campus following the 10 p.m. incident, according to the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office.
The driver of the 2010 Ford Explorer who hit Carter is Pierpaolo Verrone, 47, of Sterling. He was charged with DUI and is being held at the Loudoun Adult Detention Center.
According to reports, Carter was attempting to cross Cascades Parkway, just south of Middlefield Drive, when he was hit by a northbound Verrone.
Verrone stayed at the scene following the crash, deputies said.
The crash is under investigation by the Loudoun County Sheriff's Office Crash Reconstruction Unit.
- From quarry to community: Looking at the huge Waterside development application
- Loudoun photographers earn honors, work on display in Herndon
- MORE: Critics say Virginia ethics bill won’t prevent another scandal
- West End Wine Bar and Pub to open in Purcellville
- Local Live Music: Jorma Kaukonen’s in no hurry