Virginia, Star Scientific settle tax dispute
Court documents show the Henrico-based company reached a final settlement with state officials last month.
Star Scientific sued the tax department in Mecklenberg Circuit Court in 2011 challenging the assessment of retail sales and use tax on its purchase of tobacco curing barns.
The settlement covers the more than $707,000 bill plus interest and penalties.
Star Scientific previously marketed tobacco products but exited that business last year to focus on dietary supplements, including its Antabloc anti-inflammatory support product.
State and federal authorities are investigating its CEO's relationship with Gov. Bob McDonnell and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli. Both received thousands of dollars in gifts from Star Scientific and its CEO.
Post a commentCommenting is not available in this channel entry.
Comments express only the views of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of this website or any associated person or entity. Any user who believes a message is objectionable can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EDITORIAL: The right to know comes home at Montpelier
- Ashburn man who murdered estranged wife receives life sentence
- Report: State salaries to lag private sector by 27 percent
- Pacific Boulevard extension opens as Ashbun mans still waits for eminent domain trial
- EXCLUSIVE: LCPS officials recommended Dominion teacher for new job after ‘alleged incident’
|The Loudoun Times-Mirror
is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.Open the e-edition now.