Virginia, Star Scientific settle tax dispute
Court documents show the Henrico-based company reached a final settlement with state officials last month.
Star Scientific sued the tax department in Mecklenberg Circuit Court in 2011 challenging the assessment of retail sales and use tax on its purchase of tobacco curing barns.
The settlement covers the more than $707,000 bill plus interest and penalties.
Star Scientific previously marketed tobacco products but exited that business last year to focus on dietary supplements, including its Antabloc anti-inflammatory support product.
State and federal authorities are investigating its CEO's relationship with Gov. Bob McDonnell and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli. Both received thousands of dollars in gifts from Star Scientific and its CEO.
- Supervisors grant property tax relief for two GOP-friendly groups
- 200,000 in Va. may lack proper ID needed to vote
- TV ads, outside spending hit Virginia 10th District race
- ‘The Daily Show’ airs controversial Redskins segment
- Man sentenced to more than two years for skimming credit cards from Loudoun restaurant