Witness: Ex-Va. first lady touted state businesses
Former Gov. Bob McDonnell and his wife are accused in federal court of accepting more than $165,000 in gifts and loans from former Star Scientific CEO Jonnie Williams in exchange for using their office to promote his tobacco-based supplement, Anatabloc.
On Wednesday, Agriculture Secretary Todd Haymore testified that he often traveled the state with Maureen McDonnell to promote Virginia's wine industry, sometimes promoting specific companies by name.
Prosecutors argue that the McDonnells gave special treatment to Williams' company by setting up meetings for him and hosting an event for him at the governor's mansion.
- UPDATE: Community protests Sterling’s Calvary Temple church amid allegations of sexual abuse
- Person of interest in Bethany Decker disappearance charged with attempted murder in North Carolina
- Loudoun detectives seize large amount of drugs from Sterling hotel; two in custody
- Wine Wednesday: We’re talking grapes by the tons
- EDITORIAL: When law enforcement is more than a matter of faith