Welcome to LoudounTimes.com
Loudoun Times-Mirror
Leesburg Today Archives

Fire Marshal: Careless Smoking Caused King Street Fire

© Leesburg Today - 06/26/2015

Careless smoking is to blame for a fire that gutted a second-level apartment and resulted in $500,000 in damage to a South King Street building June 7, according to Loudoun County Fire-Rescue Department.

Laura Rinehart, the department's public information officer, confirmed Friday that the Loudoun County Fire Marshal Linda Hale ruled that the fire was accidental.

The fire erupted on a Saturday night as King Street in downtown Leesburg was packed with visitors and lined with pristine cars for the Leesburg Classic Car Show.

Caulkins Jewelers, housed on the first floor of the building since 1962, has been closed since the fire. The business is planning to reopen in temporary space at the Virginia Village shopping center at 36-B Catoctin Circle when smoke and water damage can be repaired.

A June 18 concert organized by Music Planet Radio's Cerphe Colwell and supported by downtown businesses raised $7,500 to help the residents who were displaced by the fire.

Back to the Leesburg Today archives

As Seen IN PRINT
The Loudoun Times-Mirror

is an interactive, digital replica
of the printed newspaper.
Click here for all e-editions.
Email UPDATES