An early-morning house fire in Ashburn displaced five residents and caused $750,000 in damages Sunday.
No civilians or first responders were injured during the response.
The fire was caused by hot grill ashes, according to Loudoun County Fire and Rescue.
Fire and rescue personnel responded to the 22000 block of Taylorstown Hunt Court in Ashburn around 4:45 a.m. Sunday for calls of a house fire.
Fire and rescue units from Brambleton, Kincora, South Riding, Arcola, Ashburn, Leesburg, Sterling Park, Fairfax County and command officers were dispatched to the scene.
A resident was initially awakened by his security system but found no hazards, according to county officials. He then heard a loud noise and his smoke alarms began sounding.
The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire was accidental, caused by improperly discarded grilling ashes on the rear deck of the home. The $750,000 damage estimate includes damages to structure as well as contents of the home.
Fire and rescue officials offered the following safety tips to avoid grill fires:
-Keep grills at least 15 feet away from any structure and flammable materials.
-Soak wood chips, pellets, charcoal briquettes and ashes with water, and always let ashes cool before disposing them into a closed metal container. The metal container should be kept outside, a safe distance away from the home or any other structures.
-Smoker boxes that are used when grilling should also be treated with caution, emptying their contents carefully into the closed metal container and ensuring the box cools away from any flammable materials.