Dec. 4 Ashburn home fire

The Loudoun County Fire Marshall said Thursday a fire in an Ashburn home on Tuesday was accidentally caused by an electrical malfunction. No one was injured in the fire, and damage is estimated at $75,000.

Loudoun County Fire and Rescue officials said the home's functioning fire alarms allowed the family to escape unharmed, and the fibrous cement siding on the exterior of the building greatly slowed the rate of fire as it spread vertically and to neighboring homes.

LCFR received the call for the fire just after 2 p.m. Dec. 4. Units from Ashburn, Moorefield, Lansdowne, Leesburg and numerous command officers responded to a fire in a two-story, single-family dwelling in the 21000 block of Glebe View Drive.

The 911 caller indicated a possible fire in an upstairs bedroom. All occupants were out of the house except for the family dog.

As firefighters arrived they saw smoke and fire from a second-story window. They requested additional resources, bringing units from Kincora and Dulles South.

Fire crews entered the house and contained and extinguished the fire in a second-floor bathroom. As firefighters were putting the fire out, additional crews searched for any occupants and checked for fire extension.

Firefighters located and rescued the family dog, who was unharmed, and reunited it with its owners.

Due to water and smoke damage, three adult occupants and the dog were displaced from the home, fire and rescue officials said.

Fibrous cement siding is mostly comprised of non-flammable materials and generally carries the highest achievable safety rating. Other siding options may not have provided the same level of protection or time for firefighters to extinguish the fire, Loudoun County Fire and Rescue officials said.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.